Nicholson Consulting is a small, multi-disciplinary analytics consultancy operating in Wellington’s CBD. Our clients include government departments and agencies, social enterprises and philanthropic organisations.
We’re a close-knit team who specialise in analytical solutions that are easy for our clients to understand, implement and maintain. We work alongside our clients and partners, always listening before we do: we value interpersonal and communication skills just as highly as technical ones.
We always consider the impact of our analysis – privacy, human rights and ethical considerations are important to us in everything we do.
Nicholson Consulting is growing and we’re looking for a Data Scientist to join our team. You will have great conceptual and communication skills, and enthusiasm to learn. In turn, we will support your development by providing you varied working opportunities and a $5,000 per annum personal development allowance.
Skills, experience and attributes
This is a developing role – we don’t expect you to tick all the boxes, but we will be looking for people with some of the following experience:
- Previous employment or education in an analytical field, including statistics, analytics, applied sciences, computer science.
- Analytical tools and programming languages, e.g. SAS, SQL, R, Python.
- Good programming habits and practice: version control and documentation.
- Experience with cloud-based solutions.
- Knowledge of statistical techniques and concepts.
- Flexibility and adaptability to new and varied working situations.
- A passion and interest in using data for the greater good.
- Communication and visualisation of data and insights.
- Interpersonal and consulting skills with a range of clients.
- Sound understanding of privacy, human rights and ethical considerations.
Duties and tasks
You will be working alongside our Senior Data Scientists, Technical Lead, Software Developers and clients to:
- Determine the appropriate analytical techniques and tools to meet our clients’ needs.
- Undertake analysis.
- Communicate and present findings and insights.
- Work collaboratively and constructively as part of a team.
- We expect you to be willing to share your work – whether internally with clients and colleagues, or externally through platforms such as GitHub or at forums and presentations.
Reports and responsibilities
You will report to and be supported by our People Experience Lead. You will be responsible for the delivery of your projects and tasks, with the support of the wider team.
We are looking for a permanent full-time employee.
Salary expectation: $65,000-$80,000 per annum + KiwiSaver + $5,000 per annum personal development budget.
Location and hours: You will be based in the Wellington CBD, although there may be opportunity to travel.
Our full-time employees work 40 hours per week, if you are required to work additional hours you will be paid for these at a higher rate
Send your CV and a cover letter to Ben Ritchie, People Experience Lead by Friday 26th April email@example.com
If you are successful in securing an interview, this will be accompanied by an exercise for you to demonstrate your conceptual, analytical and communication skills.