The Knowledge & Analytics group at AgResearch supports scientific research in a range of areas to the benefit of the pastoral agricultural sector.
This is a team of highly motivated individuals who between them have a broad range of expertise and enjoy working collaboratively to create innovative solutions.
We are seeking an experienced Senior Data Scientist/Senior Statistical Scientist with a strong drive to succeed to join the team in Palmerston North.
If you come from a statistical background, possess excellent analytical skills and have a passion for data science, we want to hear from you.
This is an excellent opportunity to use your knowledge and experience in collaborative research to contribute to scientific discovery in New Zealand.
The successful candidate will have the ability to provide leadership in data science, communicate easily with a wide range of people, and enjoy sharing knowledge and mentoring others.
This role may suit people who have held the following positions and have some experience in research:
- Statistical Scientist
- Data Scientist
What you will be doing
In collaboration with science teams, you will have full responsibility for the data science aspects of scientific research projects.
This will include the application of advanced statistical and machine learning methodologies/techniques on large/complex datasets, to extract meaning from data.
You will also provide thought leadership in data and statistical science for AgResearch and serve as a mentor and coach to data science enthusiasts.
Your ideal background
- Postgraduate qualification in data science or a closely related field, PhD will be preferable
- 5 years’ plus post degree relevant experience in data science and collaborative research
- Demonstrable experience in the analysis of large complex datasets using, for example, machine learning, deep learning, text mining and statistical modelling
- Be proficient in programming languages such as Python and R
- Have experience and/or a sound understanding of working within cloud computing services such as AWS and Azure
- Skilled in data integration and data visualization
- Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrate the ability to articulate complex technical information to collaborators