ESR is a Crown Research Institute which delivers scientific research services for the economic, environmental and social wellbeing of New Zealand.
About the role
Our Intelligence for Action Group is looking for a knowledgeable and driven Statistician/Modeller. Primarily working on projects assessing and/or predicting risk to people from food and environmental exposures to biological and chemical hazards. This is a permanent position and will work closely with our clients, collaborators and other ESR teams to deliver on important projects. This role will provide further support to our current statistic and modelling capability.
In the role you will
- Provide mathematical and statistical modelling input into client and research projects including:
- Experimental and survey design, providing support to projects through the whole lifecycle.
- Statistical analysis and interpretation of scientific information and data.
- Development and testing of quantitative risk and mathematical models
- Use of software packages for model development, statistical analysis and visualisation, including R and GIT
- Communication of results via reports, papers, software applications such as dashboards, and oral presentations to both scientific and non-scientific audiences.
To be successful ideally you will have:
- Working knowledge and application of:
- Visualisation of data
- Bayesian modelling (beyond simple networks)
- Monte Carlo simulations
- An understanding of the concepts of risk and risk assessment
- Experience in building quantitative models, including the use of modelling software packages
- Ability to rapidly review and assess scientific information
- Background knowledge of chemistry, microbiology, genomic data or geospatial modelling would be an advantage
If this sounds like you, then we can offer you
- A chance to make a difference for the good of New Zealand
- An exciting and diverse environment
- Active work/life policies including family-friendly initiatives, flexible hours and additional leave
A pre-employment drug-screen, disclosure of criminal charges/convictions and proof of academic qualifications/papers are conditions of employment for this position
Apply on line at https://www.careers.sciencenewzealand.org/esr/esr-jobs