Convenor: Alasdair Noble (AgResearch Ltd)
We aim to improve the quality of statistics education at all levels within New Zealand. This supports the mission of the NZSA to lead New Zealand to value and make intelligent use of statistical thinking and good statistical practice.
Our main goal is to positively influence statistics education by providing leadership that consists of expert advice and advocacy for change.
Overall we want to:
- cooperate and collaborate with key stakeholders
- maintain a high profile across key stakeholders
- maintain our currency in statistical best practice and statistics education research
- proactively seek out and assess new opportunities for statistics education.
Expert advice includes:
- providing expert guidance in statistics education
- using and sharing ideas, experience and expertise within statistics education
- regularly reviewing the implementation of the statistics strand within the mathematics and statistics learning area of the New Zealand Curriculum, associated national qualifications, and other learning areas that contain statistical ideas, for example, biology, psychology, social studies, geography, general science, and physical education.
Advocacy for change includes:
- identifying gaps and finding ways to bring about change
- promoting the importance of statistics education
- promoting and communicating future trends in statistics education
- monitoring statistical education activity
- feeding forward and feeding back to support transitions across the different education sectors.
NZSA also has supported the biennial conferences of the NZ Association of Mathematics Teachers (NZAMT) by helping to fund speakers in statistics education. It has done this since 1999. See below.
The Committee is interested in the many issues that confront teachers, and has written its thoughts on some of these. Our documents go on the Census@School site. Use the Resources tab (http://new.censusatschool.org.nz/resources/). Then use Advanced Search, by Author, and look for NZSA.
Here are the recent postings:
The Committee welcomes contact from the statistical education community. If you wish to bring issues to our attention, please contact us through the Convenor or through Mike Camden at firstname.lastname@example.org.
News from the Educational Committee is published in the NZSA newsletter: http://www.stats.org.nz/nzsanewsletters
The NZSA has supported the New Zealand Association of Mathematics Teachers’ Conference through the sponsorship of the following invited and Plenary speakers:
|1999 (Dunedin)||Jane Watson
University of Tasmania
|2001 (Wellington)||Gail Burrill
Former President of the National Council
of Teachers of Mathematics (USA)
|2003 (Hamilton)||Jeff Witmer
Oberlin College (USA)
|2005 (Christchurch)||Helen Chick
University of Melbourne
|2007 (Auckland)||Maxine Pfannkuch
University of Auckland
|2009 (Palmerston North)||Cliff Konold
University of Massachusetts (USA)
|2011 (Christchurch)||Helen MacGillivray
Queensland University of Technology
|2013 (Wellington)||Chris Wild
University of Auckland
California Polytechnic University (USA)
|2015 (Auckland)||Robert Gould
University of California, Los Angeles (USA)
Richard de Veaux
Williams College, Massachusetts (USA)