The Knowledge & Analytics group at AgResearch supports scientific research in a range of areas to the benefit of the pastoral agricultural sector. This is a team of highly motivated individuals who between them have a broad range of expertise and enjoy working collaboratively to create innovative solutions.
We are seeking a Data Scientist/Statistical Scientist or experienced Senior Data Scientist/Senior Statistical Scientist with a strong drive to succeed to join our team. This is a permanent position and ideally will be located at our Grasslands campus in Palmerston North, however, an appointment at our Lincoln campus (near Christchurch), Ruakura (Hamilton) or Invermay (near Dunedin) campuses will be considered for the right candidate.
If you come from a statistical background, possess excellent analytical skills and have a passion for data science, we want to hear from you. This is an excellent opportunity to use your knowledge and experience in collaborative research to contribute to scientific discovery in New Zealand. The successful candidate will have the ability to provide leadership in data science, communicate easily with a wide range of people, and enjoy sharing knowledge and mentoring others.
What you will be doing
In collaboration with science teams, you will contribute data science expertise to scientific research projects. This will include the application of advanced statistical and machine learning methodologies/techniques on large/complex datasets, to extract meaning from data.
For a senior role, you will also provide thought leadership in data and statistical science for AgResearch and serve as a mentor and coach to data science enthusiasts.
Your ideal background
- Postgraduate qualification in data science or a closely related field, PhD will be preferable.
- For a senior appointment, 5 years’ plus post degree relevant experience in data science and collaborative research.
- Knowledge of a wide range of data science and statistical techniques.
- Demonstrable experience in the analysis of large complex datasets using, for example, machine learning, deep learning, text mining, and statistical modelling.
- Be proficient in programming languages such as Python and R.
- Have experience and/or a sound understanding of working within cloud computing services such as AWS and Azure.
- Skilled in data integration and data visualisation.
- Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to articulate complex technical information to collaborators.
How to apply
Visit https://careers.sciencenewzealand.org/agresearch-jobdetails/ajid/PI409/Data-Scientist-Senior-Data-Scientist,37127.html and click ‘APPLY’ on the right of the page.
Applications close: Monday 16 March 2020 at 5.00pm